Sunday, July 24, 2011

M.O.N.KEY.S Folders

Well, it is official.  I am gearing up for the start of school.  My husband calls it my "nesting period" and knows to stay out of my way.  Every year begins with my M.O.N.KEY.S Folders where I reevaluate my classroom management from last year and decide how this year will be different. 

I started using these folders after visiting www.jmeacham.com six years ago when I got my first teaching job These folders are such a great way to communicate with parents and teach my students responsibility.  I make a big deal about not losing their folder and bringing it to school everyday.  I think, in six years, I've only lost one.  Sometimes, they get misplaced but when I tell parents I don't replace them, they usually turn up.

This year's folder's are the red 3-prong, plastic folders.  Imagine my excitement when I found them on sale at Wal-Mart for $0.50.  In addition, the Dollar Tree usually has great learning stickers to dress up the inside covers.  This year, I have 100s charts I had left over from last year and some colorful 1-20 number stickers. 


I also print my own labels for the cover and inside using the Avery shipping labels. Google
Docs wasn't cooperating with me when I tried to upload them, so for now, here's a list of what I use.

  • Cover for their name
  • Kindergarten Shapes
  • Left at Home
  • Right back to school
  • Library day reminder
  • Kindergarten sight words
  • Money and Notes
  • Homework
My folders will also include:
That's it for now.  I'm still trying to wrap my brain around Math Workstations.  I really like the new Debbie Diller book, but I'm also a BIG "Daily 5" freak.  My brain is still trying to process how to marry these two ideas and make it my own.  Hopefully, I will have that figured out soon and be able to share that next.

3 comments:

  1. Hello! :) I think I'm your first official follower! :) I just started my own blog as well after months of stalking :).

    Love your post about the math 'pictures'---great ideas!

    Sadly, I can't access your documents...are they still labeled as 'private'? I've managed to link to documents, but can't figure out how to allow people to view and download docs without having to leave my page...

    Good luck with yours...and come visit mine! :)

    Liesl
    http://wildworldofkindergarten.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. I came across your blog after visiting Kindergarten Crayons! I like your idea of the binder for organizing the kids. I used one in First Grade last year and am still trying to decide what to use with my kindergartners this year. Happy nesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LAURA, Awesome! Love your blogs! As you know I'm in the process of putting together my F.R.O.G.S folders for my Pre-k. Thanks for all your help, creativity, and guidance!

    ReplyDelete